How do solar panels work with battery storage?
Whether you already have solar panels or you’re thinking of making the change, you might be a little worried about what happens if you run out of electricity. After all, the idea of being stuck in the dark after a rainy day or not being able to make a cup of tea in the winter is quite scary.
Although one option is using electricity from the grid, if you’ve chosen solar panels as a cost-saving option or to be more environmentally conscious, this can seem counterintuitive. This is where a battery storage system, like libbi, will help not only elevate these concerns but also ensure you’re making the most out of your solar panels.
Why would I need battery storage?
Although very sunny days might be few and far between in Ireland, that doesn’t mean your solar panels aren’t still hard at work. Your solar panels can generate enough electricity to power your home even when it’s overcast.
But what happens to your excess energy when it is sunny and your panels generate more than you need? Without a battery storage system, that excess energy just gets sent right back to the grid.
Although it sounds nice to be giving energy back to the grid to help your neighbours benefit from renewable energy sources, it doesn’t help you on very rainy days or at night. During times when you’re not producing as much as you need, you would rely on energy from the grid at a cost to yourself and potentially from non-renewable sources.
This is where a battery storage system will have a greater impact on your home needs. Battery storage systems, like libbi, can store excess energy for you to tap into whenever you need it.
How does a battery storage system work?
Although there are lots of technical elements involved, it can essentially be broken down into 6 simple steps.
- Energy Conversion. Your solar panels convert sunlight into direct current (DC) electricity. This is all happening on an atomic scale and you won’t really be able to tell anything is happening just by looking at your panels.
- Inverter. Because the DC electricity is not compatible with most household appliances, it needs to be converted into alternating current (AC) electricity. This is done using an inverter which basically forces the DC to alternate its direction repeatedly and very quickly in a very short space of time.
- Charge Controller. To make sure that the battery is charged at the correct rate and not over or undercharging a charge controller is used to regulate the voltage. This maximises the battery lifespan.
- Battery charging. The battery is then charged in the same way any rechargeable battery is charged (like your electric vehicle or even your mobile phone).
- Battery discharging. When your solar panels aren’t generating enough electricity, you can then use the energy stored in your battery to power your home. On a single full charge of a 5kWh unit, libbi can provide up to 89 hours of television watching.
- Battery management system (BMS). This is an essential component of a battery storage system as it will protect your battery from potential issues such as overcharging, over-discharging, short-circuiting and overheating. It will also give you all the information you need about the battery so you can make an informed decision about your energy usage.
With a modular design which allows you to customise your battery storage capacity to suit your needs, libbi is designed specifically to make the most of your solar panels. You can store as much power as you need and future-proof your home with the flexibility to add or remove units as you need.
If you use any of the other myenergi products such as zappi for your EV charging, then libbi is the ideal battery storage system. It is compatible with all of the myenergi offerings including eddi which allows you to divert excess solar energy to heat water in your home.
Thanks to an intelligent battery management system, libbi ensures that your battery operates at peak efficiency at all times. This prolongs libbi’s lifespan and guarantees you optimal performance.
Track your energy usage, battery charge, and solar producing with real-time monitoring in the myenergi app. You can always make informed decisions about your energy usage and take full advantage of the solar power your panels are generating.
As with all myenergi products, libbi is designed with sustainability in mind. With a lithium iron phosphate battery which are known for long life cycles, high energy density and excellent safety records, libbi truly has superior performance.Find out more about libbi